Behavioral Medicine Training for Clinicians (Certificate Program)
Training Directors: Amaro J. Laria, PhD & Katharine M. Larsson, RN, CS, PhD
Boston Behavioral Medicine offers a certificate training program in behavioral medicine for clinicians. Trainees will learn a variety of specialized behavioral medicine techniques including: relaxation skills, diaphragmatic breathing, autogenic training, mindfulness meditation, as well as applied CBT, DBT and motivational interviewing skills, They will also learn specialized behavioral medicine interventions for particular medical (e.g., cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, skin, pain, sexual, etc.) and mental health disorders (e.g., panic, phobia, PTSD, ADHD, habits, etc.). A main emphasis of the certificate training program is the collaboration between mental health and medical systems of care, and the integration of behavioral medicine techniques into clinicians’ practice. We also strongly recommend the optional intensive on-site training in “Clinical Hypnosis and Biofeedback.”
- Eligibiltity for participation: The training is available to clinicians who have completed their professional training in a mental health or medical field and who are either licensed or “license-eligible” (i.e., have completed all requirements for licensure to practice in their respective discipline).
- Program description: includes some theory, but emphasizes the development of practical skills (see sample seminar schedule)
- Duration: September 8, 2017 to June 27, 2018 (total = 36 Friday meetings)
- Date/Time: 3 training hours per week: Fridays 1:00-4:00pm; core seminar 1:00-3:00pm; mentoring group 3:00-4:00pm; (total = 108 didactic hrs)
- Additional clinical requirement: Trainees will also complete a minimum of 36 hours of applied behavioral medicine practice on their own (mentoring will be provided by our staff)
- Certificate completion: After completion of a total of approximately 144 training hours (72 seminar hrs, 36 mentoring hrs, and 36 clinical hrs on clinician’s own time and clinical practice) trainees will be awarded a Certificate of “Specialty Training in Behavioral Medicine”
- Optional hypnosis and biofeedback training are strongly recommended (but not required to obtain certificate)
For the sample seminar schedule click here.
How to register.