Psychology Training Program
Boston Behavioral Medicine offers a psychology training program that meets the requirements for either a practicum (at least 3rd yr doctoral students), internship (non-APA accredited), or post-doctoral fellowship. The training program emphasizes learning specialized behavioral medicine techniques while developing solid integrative psychotherapy skills.
The program promotes the development of a true "bio-psycho-social" framework for the treatment of a variety of medical and psychological conditions with adults, children, and families. Integrative perspectives are emphasized, including cognitive-behavioral, psychodynamic, systemic, and socio-cultural models.
We provide specialty training in: clinical hypnosis, biofeedback, mindfulness, motivational interviewing, CBT, DBT, and couples' and family therapy, among others. Trainees also develop skills necessary to working collaboratively with medical providers.
This training program is available to students in doctoral programs in clinical psychology who already have a master's degree or who are at a "master's equivalent" level (successfully completed at least 2 yrs in a doctoral program). We also offer post-doctoral fellowship positions.
- Duration: 12 months; 22 hrs x wk (September to August).
- BBM Team meeting (weekly-attendance required; Fridays 10:00-12:00; 2nd half of meeting includes case presentations by BBM staff and trainees and occasional guest speakers on a variety of topics).
- Core seminar: "Principles and Techniques of Behavioral Medicine & Integrative Collaborative Models of Care" (Fridays 1:00-3:00pm).
- Advanced Clinical Seminar (Fridays 3:00-4:30pm).
- Individual supervision (2 hrs x wk; at least one supervisor is a licensed psychologist).
- Group supervision (1.5 hrs x wk).
- Hypnosis training: a) Intensive introductory weekend training (offered in the fall, 20 hrs), and b) Intensive intermediate weekend training (offered in the spring, 20 hrs).
- Biofeedback training: Intensive 4-day training (32 hrs+16hrs online option=48hrs).
- Average ongoing caseload: 12 patients x wk (45 min sessions).
- Opportunities to co-lead behavioral medicine groups with staff members.
- Opportunities to become involved in clinical research projects.
- Opportunities to be involved in consultation projects to primary care and other medical specialties.
- Pre-doctoral trainees (practicum and interns) will receive no stipend. Post-doctoral fellows will receive a stipend on a fee-for-service basis.
Co-Directors of Training:
Katharine Larsson, RN, CS, Ph.D.
Amaro Laria, Ph.D.
To apply, please send the following via email:
- letter of interest
- current CV
- two letters of reference
Application deadline for 2017-2018 training program:
- Practicum/Internship: January 3, 2017
- Post-doctoral Fellowship: January 10, 2017
Please email letter of interest and CV to: email@example.com
Letters of recommendation must be sent electronically directly from referrers to the email address above.